Tuesday, September 16, 2014

  1. My favorite movie scenes:
  2. By: Joe P. Attanasio


  3. I like to watch movies. Well, not just any movies, probably less that 5% of all the movies released each year. Like everyone else, certain scenes or words can become dear to me for one reason or another. I like to call these “my favorite scenes”, This is not very original, but identifiable by many.

    Over the course of the last forty-fifty years I probably have less than twenty favorite scenes. I think you can learn a lot about a person by asking them about their favorite scenes and since I brought this up, I will save my readers the bother of asking.



    FIRST KNIGHT (1995) – Richard Gere, Sean Connery, Julia Ormond and Ben Cross:

    I really liked this movie a lot. Guinevere was abducted and Lancelot chased the captors relentlessly and eventually saved her and they escaped. He stopped for a moment to rest in a small grove of trees and she asked him why they were stopping. “I’m tired.” was his response. She laughs politely and says, “Never! You battle in your dreams.”

    This line exemplified Lancelot’s Spirit and Guinevere’s love and respect for him. I think all men who consider themselves “champions of a cause” would like to be seen this way, as tireless in the fight against evil.





  4. **




  5. PRINCESS BRIDE (1987) – Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright, Andre the Giant and many more.

    Although I have many favorite lines from this movie, one scene stands out above the rest. Westley was almost killed and mostly dead but recovering. He was a master planner and was dragged to the city gates by Inigo Montoya and Fezzik who needed to get inside. The gates were being guarded by sixty men and there was just the three of them. Westley could not even hold his own head up he was in such bad shape. “We must get inside but the gate is guarded by sixty men,” Inigo told Westly while trying to revive him.
    “What are our assets?” Westley asked rolling his eyes in a stupor. “My sword, Fezziks strength and your brains,” was Inigo’s response. “Impossible,” Westley stated, “I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something.”
    Indigo responded, “We brought you in a wheelbarrow, it is over there.”
    Westley said, “Well, why didn't you list that among our assets in the first place?”

    I like dry humor and the whole scene is bathed in it. The idea of an almost dead man asking what are our assets and chiding them for mot mentioning a wheelbarrow tickles my twisted funny bone.

    **

    BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969) - Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Katherine Ross:
    They were being chased relentlessly by a special posse of expert lawmen and were trapped on a rock ledge about 150 feet above a white water river. With no way out Butch said, “We will jump, I'll jump first.”
    Sundance replied, “no.”
    “Then you jump first,” Butch countered.
    “No, I said,”
    “What's the matter with you?” Butch said desperately.
    “I can’t swim,” Sundance’s replied.
    Butch looks at the 150 foot drop into the rapids then back at Sundance and breaks out in laughter.
    “Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.” Butch said grabbing Sundance’s hand and pulling him over the edge with him.
    “OH SHIT…..,” could be heard as they dropped into the river.

    I loved this scene as it showed bravado in a no win situation, The determination to try anything before giving up to certain death, and doing it with style.


    **

    CAT BALLOU (1965) Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin, Michael Callan:

    One of my favorite movies but one particular scene always come to mind and has been quoted by me numerous times. Frankie Ballou (Cat’s father) is in danger from a gun slinger and she convinces her friends to stay close to him to protect him. Every time he takes a step three guys move with him. Frankie stops and spreads his arms moving the three people away from him and says, “Stand back and let me breathe.”

    I know this probably sounds mundane but it has stuck with me all these years.


    **

    ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Lon Chaney Jr. and Bela Lugosi:

    This old classic is full of ‘tongue in cheek’ humor and is very entertaining. A local museum operator orders Dracula’s coffin from Europe and ends up with Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolf Man terrorizing their small town. He is concerned with the loss of his exhibits and blames Chick Young and Wilbur Grey. In the final scene all three monsters are chasing Chick and Wilbur when they pass the curator. Wilbur yells, ”Hey, if you still want your exhibits, here they come,” as he points at them in pursuit.


    I love the line and am always finding ways to use it in everyday life with my wife. The picture of the three monsters chasing them and the snarky way Wilbur yells it to the curator is priceless.

    **

    INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996) Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Mary McDonnell, Judd Hirsch, Margaret Colin, and Randy Quaid:

    I was moved by the speech the president makes in the face of obliteration from a conquering race of aliens.

    President Thomas J. Whitmore: Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!


    I hope we got to know each other a little better through our FAVORITE MOVIES SCENES. Thanks for reading and feel free to check my blog archives for other articles.





No comments:

Post a Comment