Sunday, August 3, 2014

Continuing my series on poetry:



A limerick is a form of poetry, especially one in five-line anapestic meter with a strict rhyme scheme (AABBA), which is sometimes obscene with humorous intent. The first, second and fifth lines are usually longer than the third and fourth. The form can be found in England as of the early years of the 18th century. It was popularized by Edward Lear in the 19th century, although he did not use the term. The preceding definition is from Wikipedia.

Limericks are fun - 


These usually vary from

a bit off-color to obscene


(The pattern is A, A, B, B, A where

A=7-10 Syllables and B=5-7)



A Limerick so it would seem

Came to me once in a dream

It started to suck me in

A most delicious sin

As it certainly was obscene
*


A Limerick must have five lines

The first and second must rhyme

Third and the fourth the same

Counting syllables the game

The fifth must match the first this time
*


Written first by a guy named Lear

Eighteen hundred was the year

He was a merry bloke

He liked a dirty joke

His Limericks brought people cheer
*
*

Most anyone can make one

Doing so can be such fun

Give it a good try

Just don’t be too shy

You will feel good when you’re done

  

An example of some others:

  

Would you like to ride on my Schooner

I’ll sing to you, I’m quite a crooner

If song is not your thing

Then try my ding-a-ling

I know you’ll come later or sooner

*
*

If you want to get in my hot sweet spot

You will have to show me what you’ve got

I won’t open up

For just any old pup

I want to make sure you are a big shot



No comments:

Post a Comment