Saturday, August 30, 2014

Passion and Debate:
Thoughts by: Joe P. Attanasio


Let me start with some definitions of these two words:

Passion:

(1) A strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something.
(2) Strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
(3) Passion is when you put more energy into something than is required to do it. It is more than just enthusiasm or excitement, passion is ambition that is materialized into action to put as much heart, mind body and soul into something as is possible.

Debate:

(1) A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.
(2) Argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
(3) A discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something.
(4) To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
(5) a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something
(6) A debate can be an organized event, an informal discussion between two or more people, or a general discussion that involves many people.

I am all for passion. Those that know me have heard me say many times that I despise apathy. For those few that do not know what apathy is I will list a definition for you. Apathy is a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
I don’t know how people that don’t care about anything can consider that they are alive. Consciousness dictates interest, concern and care about most things around us in my opinion.

I have mixed feelings about debate. In theory I suppose debate is healthy in that it presents different opinions and facts about the subject that is being debated. The reason I say I have mixed feelings is that in my experience debate has often led to hard feelings. These hard feelings can destroy relationships; be they family, friends, or acquaintances.

Another difficulty I find with debates is “when” they are considered ended. Often one party is not willing to declare a debate over until the other side concedes to their points.

This brings me to my blog topic for today.

Passion and Debate mix as well as Oil and Water.

I think a debate should have rules. Perhaps be limited to a certain amount of time or number of points. This should be agreed on beforehand. I also think a person should be able to “agree to disagree” in some cases and end all discussion by making that statement.

I know some people that enjoy debating just about anything with their friends. They revel in presenting pros and cons for hours. They get to exhibit there knowledge and expertise and truly enjoy the whole experience. I say, “Good for you if that is your thing.”

To me, debate is just a fancy word for argue until you prove yourself right. Although I am passionate about a great many things, you will rarely find me willing to debate my point. I don’t like the confrontation. I will state my opinion and you can agree or disagree. Try to debate with me and “I will pass”.



As has been my habit in the past I will share a poem on passion, I never wrote one on debate.


Passion
By: Joe P. Attanasio
**
**
Passion, part of sex for sure
Strong desires are a lure
A love that is compelling
Feelings that are swelling
*
Passion makes us feel alive
Energy fueling overdrive
Pushing us because we care
Rewarding us, if we dare
*
Passion is the ultimate focus
Not just simply hocus pocus
Energizing certain feelings
Crushing imaginary ceilings
*
Passion can overcome fear
It can only be, sincere
Enabling us to reach a goal
Sustaining our very soul
*
Passion can be over anything
Politics, religion, even spring
Whatever’s important to you
Give it your all, See it through
*
Without passion, life is bland
We don’t move, or even stand
Give yourself a little spice
Be alive; live your life
*

As always I invite you to read my other blogs. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving a message here then go to my Facebook page and private message me. The link is in the upper right corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment